Wednesday, May 6, 2009

aTunes - A Fully Featured Audio Player & Manager




Default aTunes SetupScreenshot of aTunesView Full Size



aTunes with window elements disabled

Screenshot of aTunes with all window elements disabledView Full Size



Conclusion:

Most programs that I test out on my computer are uninstalled shortly afterwards. Despite it's shortcomings in terms of speed, I decided to keep aTunes installed on my system to see how it grows on me, and I will continue to closely monitor it's development. I hope that they will eventually decide to stray from programming in Java and go open source with their code, but I'm not going to hold my breath as this would require the developers to completely rewrite the code from the ground up. There are a number of standard features that appear to be missing such as visualizations, skins (various color themes are available) and plugin support. Although I don't own an iPod, it would also be nice to see the limited iPod support improved upon. This would do a great deal to convince more people to make this their default player of choice. This player is still in it's infacy though, having only recently released the version one milestone, so their is a lot of time to expand on the ideas already present. Hopefully these features will be present in future releases. While in the longrun aTunes might not dethrone Winamp as my overall media player of choice, or MediaMonkey as my preferred music manager and tagger, it is still a very robust player that I would recommend at least giving a try


Homepage: http://www.atunes.org
Download: http://www.atunes.org/?page_id=6
Download Size: 19MB


No comments:

Post a Comment